BAM Cultural Event Guidelines
- The BAM Cultural Committee (BAM CC) shall have the primary responsibility for planning and leading BAM’s cultural event programming.
- For cultural program participation every performer/ participant needs to follow BAM membership policies/guidelines. (For BAM membership policies please visit https://mnbangali.org/new-member-registration/).
Note: External Artists who are invited by BAM to perform at a BAM event are exempt from this BAM membership policy requirement. Selection of BAM External Artists and their contract terms must be approved by BAM BOD.
- In general, BAM encourages group participation in BAM Cultural Programs to maximize the involvement of members of the community. However, individual performances might be allowed in any BAM cultural event by the BAM CC in appropriate cases and when considered desirable for the success of the event.
Note: External Artists who are invited by BAM to perform at a BAM event may perform solo or with their own band or co-Artists as per the terms of their contract with BAM.
In special/exceptional circumstances, BAM CC may permit an individual performer/presenter to perform/present in more than one performance/presentation. Examples of such special/exceptional circumstance could be the shortage of a particular skill/talent and the availability of only one individual who can readily provide that (eg. proficiency in a particular musical instrument) or a musician accompanying a singer suddenly falls ill and cannot perform and needs to be substituted.
- The selection and scheduling of cultural programs/performances for BAM events shall be the responsibility of BAM CC. BAM CC shall keep the following considerations in mind when reviewing, selecting and scheduling cultural programs/performances:
- The suitability of the proposed cultural program/performance for the cultural event and its intended audience and its conformity with these guidelines.
- The cultural program/performance is of good quality and displays innovation in its theme/content and/or presentation that will be of interest to the audience.
- The organizers/performers are able to meet the required logistics of the program (eg. audio track, video track, and stage essentials) by the deadline set for the event.
- Results of BAM conducted survey regarding past programs/performances by the organizers/performers, or the type of program that is proposed, if available.
- Length of proposed cultural programs/performances and total performance time available for the event.
- The organizers/performers level of engagement with BAM events.
- The need to balance the participation in BAM cultural events of both established and seasoned performers and newer, upcoming talent
- The avoidance of duplicative content in the BAM cultural programs
In order to assist it with the selection and scheduling of cultural programs/performances in accordance with the above considerations, BAM CC will seek detailed information from the organizers/performers about their proposed program/presentation early in this process and may seek further clarification in this regard if necessary. Failure or undue delay on the part of the organizers/performers to provide such information may result in the program/performance not being considered for inclusion in the event.
BAM CC may consult as necessary with BAM BOD/ACC and other members of the BAM community regarding the selection and scheduling of cultural programs/performances but shall make the final decision in this regard.
- Nominations for performances/presentations for a BAM cultural program should reach BAM CC by the published deadline. In addition, audio tracks, if requested, should also be submitted to BAM CC by the requested time. Late submissions will not be entertained by BAM CC.
- Event specific maximum time for performance/presentation will be communicated to the organizers/performer (or their contact person/team lead) when the nominations are finalized. The maximum time limit for any performance will depend on the total cultural program time allocated for that specific event.
- All performers/presenters are required to strictly adhere to the time allocated by the BAM CC for program set up, performance and clean up.
- Props arrangement will be organizers’/performers’ responsibility unless BAM CC has agreed in advance to provide the same. BAM will not be accountable for any arrangements associated with the prop requirements that BAM CC had not agreed to provide.
- BAM CC prefers general lighting/microphones logistics for the programs. However, participants may request special lighting/sound equipment (e.g. number of microphones). BAM CC does not guarantee the availability of the requested special lighting/ sound equipment (e.g. number of microphones). The organizers/performers may use their own equipment if the same is compatible with the other stage equipment provided but it will be their responsibility to ensure that they work.
- Performers/Presenters must be present during their scheduled stage rehearsals and live performances. In addition, at least one person from the performing team must be present during the rehearsals and live program to work with the light and sound technicians. Arrangements for any additional equipment (light, & sound equipment, props, costumes, musical instruments etc.). needed by the performers/presenters for their rehearsals and live program will be their sole responsibility unless BAM CC has previously agreed to provide the same.
- Performer/presenter are not allowed to transfer/share/swap their allocated time slot to/with other performer(s)/ presenter(s) without the permission of BAM CC.
- The performers/presenters must report to the BAM CC at the time set by BAM CC on the date of their performance/presentation, as well as for any pre-performance rehearsal that BAM CC may require.
- (a) Content Inappropriate for BAM cultural programs: BAM recognizes the value of promoting art and encouraging creativity and artistic expression. However, the content of the proposed performances/presentation must not:
- Contain content that is vulgar and obscene, uses profane language, or displays excessive violence or explicit sexual situations;
- Mistreat, disparage or belittle minorities and disadvantaged sections of society, or make fun of, use hate speech against, or target people who belong to a particular demographic group;
- Be defamatory, i.e., it must not contain false unprivileged communication about a private person which injures that person’s reputation in the community or the person’s good name
- Be in the nature of a campaign or propaganda for or against a political party or political leader; BAM is a non-political organization and its cultural programs are not to be used as a platform for political activism
- Amount to a promotion or advertisement of a commercial product or service.
- Amount to an attempt to proselytize and convert people to a particular religion, sect or faith.
- Contain language or images that may create racial or communal controversy or ill feeling or incite violence.
(b) Programs for general audiences: In general, the content of BAM cultural programs should be suitable for the typical audience of BAM’s cultural programs, namely families with children.
(c) Programs/Performances intended for mature audiences: Subject to the provisions of 12(a) above, in the interests of promoting art and encouraging creativity and artistic expression BAM may offer cultural programs/performances that may be considered suitable for mature audiences only. In such cases, the audiences shall be made aware that the program/performance is intended for mature audience and may be considered inappropriate for children/younger audiences and a notice/disclaimer in this regard shall be provided in advance with the announcement of the event and at the beginning of the performance.
(d) If BAM CC has any questions regarding the suitability of a prospective performance/presentation for a BAM cultural event or the possible applicability of one of the disqualifying factors in 12(a) above, they will discuss it with BAM BOD, and BAM BOD may refer the matter to BAM ACC for guidance. If a particular prospective program/performance is found to be inappropriate for inclusion under 12(a) above, the organizer/performer shall be informed of the decision.
(e) The organizers/performers wishing to participate in a BAM cultural program shall be required to sign a statement that they have read these guidelines and that their proposed program/performance does not contain any of the disqualifying content outlined in 12 above. In addition, they shall disclose to the BAM CC if their program/performance contains content that is suitable for mature audiences only. In case the organizers/performers have any questions regarding this, they need to discuss the matter with BAM CC before submitting their proposal.
- The program organizers/performers must not engage in any activity during their performance which could create any form of environmental, chemical, and/or fire hazard including but not limited to open flame, storage of combustible and hazardous material, tampering or interfering with electrical lines, etc. No adhesive materials should be used on the stage. All material/props used for the program shall be removed from the stage by the event presenter/performer and no litter will be left behind after the program/performance ends.
- BAM cannot guarantee audience attendance levels for BAM events and cultural programs. While BAM will take appropriate steps to publicize its events and cultural programs, individual performances/presentations in the cultural program will not be given preferential treatment and singled out for special publicity. BAM CC will not be responsible for making arrangements for an audience-packed auditorium. Presence of a sufficient number of spectators in the auditorium is beyond the control of the organizers. Performers must understand that the audience has the right to select the program they want to attend. No request from the Performers/Directors for rescheduling the program due to insufficient spectators will be entertained.
- Selection of Master of Ceremonies (“Emcee”) and Event Coordination for BAM cultural programs and events will be the sole responsibility of BAM CC. BAM CC will balance the need for having experienced, skilled individuals carry out these roles for major events, while also providing suitable opportunities, as feasible, for less experienced members to develop the skills required for this role.
BAM CC may invite” expression of interest” from BAM members interested in volunteering for BAM cultural event roles, including the role of “Emcees” and Event Coordinators, and consider members who express interest for these roles in response to such invitation. The decision of the BAM CC with regards to selection and placement of members for these volunteer roles will be final.
Similar process will be applied for the selection of participants/ visual images for any BAM promotional video.
- Every effort will be made to maintain the program schedule. However, BAM CC reserves the right to change the scheduled time, the venue (stage, auditorium, etc.) or format (e.g., physical to virtual event) of the program due to unforeseen circumstances or when it is in the interests of BAM and its members. In case BAM CC needs to make such a change, it will inform the organizers/performers as soon as possible.
- Failure to comply with any of the above Terms and Conditions may impact the program schedule or cancellation of the program.